The CitiPod Urban Transport Solution
- Congestion in urban centres is a disaster;
- Parking in urban centres is a disaster;
- Pollution in urban centres is a disaster;
- Electric cars cost >£20,000 per unit;
- Electric cars need massive charging infrastructure and continue to blight our cities with particulate emissions;
- Buses and trains provide limited services in modern dispersed cities and surrounding villages;
- 14-17 year-olds not serviced by most existing transport as early adopters;
- Cycles are not weatherproof;Most urban journeys are less than 5km and do not require heavy, polluting vehicles
Briefing transport interest groups on the CitiPod concept, using a Rotavelo as a sample pedal-assisted lightweight electric vehicle (LEV)
CET has a bold vision:
- To reduce urban transport carbon emissions to zero;
- To reduce urban transport energy use to one-tenth of current;
- To solve urban road congestion;
- Affordable for all
All this can be done through lightweight electric CitiPods:
- User fully weather-protected;
- <1m wide vehicles that double road capacity;
- Electric powered to remove pollution;
- Ultra-lightweight to use less energy;
- Speed-restricted for safety;
- Street and cycleway legal for 14-year-olds and above;
- CitiPods are safer and more inclusive for all ages than cycles;
- The Kiddie version will have a rear compartment to transport toddlers;
MaaS deployment for inter-modal optimisation
Through continuous urbanisation, it is anticipated that by 2050 there will be as many people in cities as there are on the planet today? In order to manage this extreme growth and the increased levels of pollution and congestion urbanisation is creating, we require scalable and extendable technology to increase the efficiency of urban flow – as well as make carbon-free cities achievable.
Cambridge Electric Transport is dedicated to developing urban transport solutions to meet these challenges.
Our core concept is the CitiPod, a pedal-assisted ultra-lightweight electric vehicle based on e-bike technology. Because it conforms to EU regulations for e-bikes, it can be deployed immediately on existing cycleway and road infrastructure, delivering a zero-emission urban transport solution that will also minimise traffic congestion. See here for more details.
In addition to developing the CitiPod, CET is providing the following range of products and services:
- Staff travel advisory and management services for employers;
- Cycling community support services such as the Campus Cycling Hub at the Cambridge Biomedical Campus;;
- E-bike sales and rentals;
- Specialist velocycle sales.
Two Cambridge start-ups combine forces to develop autonomy for lightweight vehicles This press release was covered by Cambridge Network Cambridge Electric Transport (CET) and Robik AI have formed a partnership to develop and test autonomous operation capabilities for lightweight vehicles. CET is developing the lightweight electric CitiPod as an urban transport solution to eliminate carbon...Read More
In the near future our vision adds:
- Autonomous parking;
- Autonomous battery-charging;
- Autonomous redeployment for ride-hailing;
- Solar cells on hood for battery charging – reducing the CitiPod carbon footprint to near zero;
- Dedicated safe routes for rapid movement;
- Full autonomy for cargo models to deliver small cargo loads;
The CitiPod conforms to e-bike regulations so can be used on cycleways as well as roads. It is incredibly cheap to run, using an estimated £0.005 per mile in electricity consumption. It is also cheap to maintain – not much more than an e-bike.
CET is working with the National Transport Design Centre at Coventry University to develop the CitiPod Commuter design (see draft designs below).
First prototypes will be produced at the Productiv Group’s Proving Factory in Coventry. An initial test fleet of 150 CitiPods will be produced to trial in Cambridgeshire, Milton Keynes and Oxfordshire. CET is partnering with each of these local authorities to select communities and routes for CitiPod trials.
In addition, CET has partnered with Robik AI, a Cambridge company specialising in autonomy for lightweight vehicles, to develop autonomous operation capabilities for the CitiPod (see Press Release)
CitiPod design work in progress
CitiPod Sponsorship Opportunities
CitiPods have great branding value as a highly visible and mobile platform to promote a corporate image associated with a unique green urban transport initiative.
This provides both brand promotion and CSR enhancement opportunities. Contact us for details of sponsorships available.